What Is Requirement Traceability Matrix?
Requirement Traceability Matrix is a document used to assist in determining the completeness of a relationship by correlating any two baseline documents using a many-to-many relationship comparison.
A document that maps and traces user requirements with test cases.
A requirement traceability matrix may be used to check if the current project requirements are being met. As a result, with RTM all the requirements proposed by the client and the requirement traceability in a single document.
Then, It can help in the creation of a request for proposal software requirement specification, various deliverable documents, and project plan tasks. So, let's start the discussion.
Why we need Requirement Traceability Matrix
- It is a great tool to link the requirement, test case, and defect accurately in a single document.
- It can provide good coverage data that is test coverage.
- With RTM we have prevention in defect leakage
- Assure good quality of the application as all the features are tested.
Parameter of Requirement Traceability Matrix:
- Requirement Details
- The Requirement ID
- Requirement Description
- Test case details
- * Test case ID
- * the Test case Description
- * Test case Design
- * Test case Designer
- * UAT test required? Yes/No
- * Test execution in Test env/UAT Env/ Prod Env
- * Defect exists?
- * the Defect ID
- * Defect Status
- * Requirement coverage status
Types of Requirement Traceability Matrix:
- Forward Traceability: The test cases map the Requirements.
- Backward Traceability: The requirement map the test cases.
- Bi-directional: A great traceability matrix has test case to requirement and vice versa
This is very important for testing purposes. So, please read the blog and share your reviews in the comment section."